The Launching of the International Campaign against Forced Displacement and Special Economic Zones
International Initiative Committee commences preparations for the formal establishment of the campaign within one year
The initiative committee approves the basic concepts for the Int’l Campaign and calls to prepare for a fact finding mission to India to compile information on forced displacement and the effects of SEZ
The special meeting to launch the International Campaign against Forced Displacement and Special Economic Zones, was held on 19 June, 2008 at the ILPS TIA venue, in Hong Kong. Full report of the meeting was delivered to the assembly, at its plenary session, on June 20th by the coordinator of the initiative committee of The International Campaign against Forced Displacement and Special Economic Zones (ICFD) and received the full backing of all attending members of the ILPS.
The coordinator reported on the conduct of the launching committee, where the participants heard from members from Brazil, India, Indonesia, Philippines and US (victims of Katrina) on displacement related issues in their own countries. The report further outlined the objectives of the International Campaign as follows:
- To coordinate world wide initiatives building on the existing resistance against forced displacement;
- To raise awareness, educate, organise and mobilise, and expand opposition against imperialist backed developmental polices that cause large scale displacement;
- To unite the widest possible forces pursuing diverse avenues of challenges to such policies including legal, mass media, human & civil rights sectors, and to create public opinion against the policy of SEZs and their devastating consequences for the people and the environment;
- To uphold the principles of people’s independent and self reliant development;
- To create an independent foundation for the relief and assistance to victims of forced displacement.
The coordinator further announced the formation of an 11 member International Initiative Committee composed of members from or residing in, Brazil(1), Greece(1), India(1), Indonesia(2), Philippines(1), the Netherlands(1), Britain(1) and the US(3). The IIC will be assisted by a secretariat and staff based in Europe with a strong contingent in India.
The report also referred to the decision of the initiative committee to take immediate action on the following:
- To launch a network for information and communications (website and other means to distribute the documents , presentations, news, views and actions of the campaign)
- Extend invitations to distinguished intellectuals, authors, legal experts, personages and organisations to join the campaign and lend their weight to the initiative;
- To prepare to dispatch a strong fact finding delegation to India;
- To prepare to launch an international conference in Europe on the issue within a given time;
- To set up mechanisms to handle funds and launching of a fund raising initiative for the campaign and its relief project; and,
- To prepare for and assist in the holding of a people’s tribunal against the state in India on the issue of forced displacement and SEZs.
For further information visit http://www.no2displacement.com/
Please contact information:
To subscribe to the public mailing list of the campaign